In iOS 8, Apple introduced app extensions which let you extend functionality beyond your app and make it available to users from other parts of the system like in other apps or from the Notification Center. iOS defines different types of extensions, each tied to an area of the system such as the keyboard, Notification Center, e.t.c. A system area that supports extensions is called an extension point. Below is a list of the extension points in iOS.
- Today – Shows brief information and can allow performing of quick tasks in the Today view of Notification Center
- Share – Share content with others or post to a sharing website
- Action – Manipulate content in a host app
- Photo Editing – Edit photos or videos within the Photos app
- Document Provider – Provide access to and manage a repository of files
- Custom Keyboard – Provide a custom keyboard to replace the iOS system keyboard
We will cover all these extension points in this and subsequent tutorials. With this article, we will focus on the Today Extension.